Monday, 26 May 2008

Oatmeal Skater Beanie

My new pattern has a name! Because I think the hat bears looks quite similar in both style and thickness to a lot of the urban, skater beanies, that's what I've decided to call it: Skater Beanie :) Does what it says on the tin, doesn't it?

So yesterday I started work on another beanie as I wrote down the pattern, to ensure I got it all noted down correctly and that all of my sizing instructions work.

It's just as well I did because there are a few tweaks I need to make to it to ensure a comfy fit. The one I made yesterday does fit Trev, but it's a little bit too tight for him to wear comfortably - but it fits me like a dream :) He also asked me to make it 2 rows shorter for him, but now says it's too short - grrr.

So, I shall be keeping this one (don't know if I want to put it on Etsy), and the pattern will be written up today! The hardest part is getting the diameter and therefore the circumference of the hat right. May involve a little bit of jiggery-pokery to get exactly right as the instructions I've written will work, but there's no middle ground to ensure a perfect fit. Hmmmm. Thinking caps on.

Here are some piccies of the new beanie:

CIMG2434

CIMG2430

CIMG2440

I do think hats in a thinner yarn do look far more professsional when they're finished than those make from thicker yarn. Don't know why that is. Very odd! Once again used Sirdar Country Style DK - the hat is basically a negative of the chocolate coloured one in my previous post.

Here is a random picture of Kooks taken earlier today - she was very interested in something that was happening "over there".

CIMG2444

1 comment:

Laura Killoran for Croshay Design said...

Hello!
I like your variation of the boy beanie in DK yarn! looks good!
Okay if I link to your pattern from my open source crochet blog where I posted a version of the original boy beanie for free use?

Laura Killoran
Croshay Design