As promised, here are pics of my finished bookmark!
Quite happy with how it's come out! Just need to block and starch it and it's ready to use. Although I'll probably end up using it before that anyway :)
Friday, 15 August 2008
Wednesday, 13 August 2008
I popped to John Lewis yesterday to buy some yarn for a friend - she's coming over on Friday and wants me to teach her to crochet. She's pregnant and so she wants to learn to make stuff herself - which is cool.
So whilst I was there I treated myself to some interesting looking pink size 10 crochet 10. (Very light, bright, Barbie pink!) I figured I deserved it after having to make my way down Oxford Street which is horrendous at lunchtimes, and it was only £1.95.
I've been wanting to try thread crochet for a while - after all I bought my little Hamanaka hooks and haven't had the chance to use them yet.
I wanted to try a thread project that wasn't a doily (not sure if I will ever make one of those!) and that I could actually make use of, and looked easy. So in the end I plumped for this Fan Bookmark by Crochetroo.
I started it last night, and worked on it during my commute today, and finished it off when I got home. I got a bit into it, and as I was working without the pattern on the train, ended up doing 10 fans instead of 8 - but I think it looks better with 10!
No piccies as yet because it was too dark by the time I finished, so I'll take some tomorrow or at the weekend. In total it probably took a couple of hours which is quite speedy I think. Just need to find a way to starch it, and I'm all set! Can see me knocking up a few of these are gifts.
Tuesday, 12 August 2008
Well I decided to carry on and make the full dress :)
I finished it on Saturday, and took some pictures on a very cold and windy Sunday morning. Who'd have thought it was August?
I followed the pattern to the letter, with the exception of the last strip, which I made a full 6 inches wide, instead of 5 1/4 because I wanted it to be long enough. My problem is I have a long body, and longish thighs, but proportionately short calves! So my knees look lower down than they should be and when making knee length things, I'm going to run into issues!
As a result my dress is now the right length! Yay! It still needs to be blocked (I need to do some swatches and test block those before I try it on my dress.
I also need to get around to buying a proper slip... in these pics I'm wearing a camisole and petticoat - so not ideal. I want to get one in black and one in white - and potentially dye the white one to a matching blue colour.
Definitely my most favourite thing that I've crocheted so far! Here's some more piccies (ignore the look on my face - it was coooooold!)
Next on the list is the Hairpin Lace Cardi Wrap. I also bought the pattern for the Cecilia Chemise at the weekend and still have the Hourglass Jacket to make...
Busy busy :) I also purchased a copy of Creepy Cute Crochet - bought it directly from the author at her Etsy store and it will come signed! Trev wants me to make him a army of ninjas when the book arrives... should be a lot of fun!
Saturday, 2 August 2008
Well after finishing my Go For Baroque I knew I wanted to make something that involved Hairpin Lace. Initially I was going to make the Hairpin Lace Cardi Wrap using some black Microspun I bought, however the splittiness of the yarn put me off using that for my first project.
So, I settled on the more challenging looking Lotus Smock! I wanted to make this with some of the yarn I bought half-price at Liberty :) I was planning to make the dress version - as I don't know if I have the figure to carry off the camisole...
Anyhow, started this a week ago and took some getting used to - you work with the yarn double-stranded, so what is actually 2 loops per flip of the loom counts as 1, but you get used to it very quickly. And the joining of the strips is also very easy, as it uses just normal single crochet, slip stitch and chain stitches.
I wanted to make the dress so I could try it on as I went, so after doing strip one, I added the straps and the edging around the neck and armhole. By Monday night, after doing the second strip, it looked like this:
Not the most flattering of pictures because I managed to bunch it up round my waist and the strips aren't that stretched yet because it a) needs to be blocked, and b) needs the weight of the other strips to help pull it taut.
So I didn't really get the chance to work on it during the week, so it's gotten to Saturday and I've finally done strip 3 and attached it:
I think it's looking quite good now - still needs to be blocked and stretched, but I can't decide whether to leave it this length and have it as a camisole, or whether to make the final 2 strips and have it as a dress.
I'm so terrible at making decision! Aaargh!