Sunday, 8 March 2009

Presents to myself

As promised late last night, here is my new shiny blog post featuring lots of pictures! I've just had a message from Trev to say he is on his coach back from Victoria now, so he'll be back in Peterborough sometime around 4pm. At last I can breathe! :)

On Tuesday my yummy angorino fibre arrived at my office. It helped make up for the horror that was the night before (run in with the in-laws, dontcha know). I got it home, plaited it, and here it is in all it's glory:

Ixchel Angorino

Ixchel Angorino

Ixchel Angorino

Gorgeous huh?

Now staying over in London on Monday night, meant that I missed the postman trying to deliver my new Rosewood Mini spindle from the Bosworths... so instead I had it redelivered on Thursday when I was working from home. Isn't it beautiful?

Bosworth Mini Rosewood

Bosworth Mini Rosewood

Bosworth Mini Rosewood

Bosworth Mini Rosewood

Bosworth Mini Rosewood

Bosworth Mini Rosewood

More pics in my Bosworth Spindles set on Flickr.

So, this is a Rosewood Mini with Bloodwood shaft. I went for the 9" rather than the 7.5" shaft, due to the whorl being heavier. It's 24gm/0.84oz and is part of the February 2009 Special Stripy Spindles run.

It came attached with the loveliest bit of Ashland Bay Merino on it - which I have since spun up into my first laceweight yarn. I'm unsure of the wpi or yardage - I need to sit down and work that out later. It's a baby mini-skein, but gives me an idea of how fine I can spin and let me know that I can also spin from the fold! :)

First Laceweight Handspun

First Laceweight Handspun

First Laceweight Handspun

First Laceweight Handspun

I spun the single and then turned it into a 2 ply using the handy-plying technique found here on Knitty.

I've also been doing a bit of knitting. One of Mum's Evangeline gloves is nearly finished (just need to add the thumb). They're coming out ok - but I don't think this yarn defines the cables very well (it's Rowan Cashsoft Aran):

Mum's Evangeline

They don't look bad, by any means, but there just isn't the definition there I'd like that other gloves have had.

To give me a break from knitting I'm going to start another crochet project - another Chromium Star Blanket. Making this one in Arsenal colours (red and white) for a friend of a friend who is having a baby. I know it's not selfish knitting, but a) it's crochet and b) babies are inherently knitworthy. Will also do some booties if I have the time.

Off to start that now! Should be nice to do a bit of crochet again :)

No comments: