Sunday, 5 April 2009

Yarn Yard Fibre Club

Super excited - my first shipment from the Yarn Yard Fibre Club arrived the other day. Unlike a lot of clubs, you don't sign up for a fixed period. As long as you sign up by the last day of the month, you get a package of 100g-ish fibre the following month. From then on, you just make a payment on the same day each month, and you'll continue to get fibre until you decide you want to leave!

Natalie's clubs have been spoken of very highly by a number of people on Ravelry and as she often uses different fibres in the Fibre Club, it's a great way to get to use some fibres that I wouldn't normally think of.

Take a gander at the March shipment:

The Yarn Yard - Fibre Club March 2009

The Yarn Yard - Fibre Club March 2009

The Yarn Yard - Fibre Club March 2009

The Yarn Yard - Fibre Club March 2009

The colour is called Rhododendron, as it's inspired by the plant outside Natalie's kitchen window. The fibre is Texel, which is predominantly a breed used for meat, but it also has a usable fleece. The staple length is similar to BFL, but it's a bit coarser. So whilst not the softest fibre, it would be good for socks, hat, mittens etc...

I actually plan to make socks with this - I love the pink shades in the fibre, but not too keen on the "plant" sections in the green and browns. My Mum however (as I thought), loves it, so I'll attempt to make her a pair of socks from it.

This weekend I've also been working on my baby blanket, and I'm making some good progress:

Arsenal Starghan

I've done the first 20 rounds. My last blanket came out at 28 rounds and I think I might make this one a bit bigger. I'm on round 24 at the moment... each round is taking an hour or so - starting to border on tedious! But the sooner I get this done, the sooner I can get back to my other knitting and spinning.

Thanks goodness I have a week off now :)

1 comment:

Shani Phethean-Hubble said...

love this yarn, beautiful !!