Wednesday, 27 May 2009

Amelia's Bootees

Well I've finished my first ever pair of knitted bootees:

Amelia's Bootees

Cute eh? I used a pattern called Saartje's Bootees on Ravelry which has over 5,000 projects linked to it so far. I can post the link to the pdf for anyone who doesn't have Rav access - just let me know. On the other hand, why DON'T you have Ravelry access yet? Huh? Come on people :)

Anyway! I really enjoyed this pattern. It's quick and cute, despite there being a lot of ends to weave in. Couple of things I wasn't too happy with on the project:

  • My sewing up of the seams - I officially cannot seam garter stitch. Grr.
  • My button loops. They were terrible. Although I found a tutorial after finishing the first bootee, I had to make the second shoe equally terrible. Will fix next time and use this tutorial from Ysolda instead - Sewn Button Loops.
  • The straps. These straps are not fun. One of them in particular on both shoes didn't come out very well - I think it's the one where you CO 10 stitches and then knit the remainder. On the second bootee I managed to do it the wrong way round so the strap raced the wrong way entirely. After a scream, the shoe went flying out the window. Trev retrieved it later however.
I did learn how to do a kfb increase though - previously all I've learnt has been a few different decreases, so along with learning how to yo on the Odessa hat, I'm building out my decrease repertoire :)

So I will definitely make more of these, but not sure when or for who.

As I needed buttons, I went to my Mum's and raided her button stash - she's been collecting buttons since she was 6 and learned to knit. So many of the buttons had appeared on cardigans and things she made for us all when we were kids - such a trip down memory lane - recognising all these old buttons. In particular I remember and I loved some Jemima Puddleduck and Hunka Munka buttons we found. I have since come to the conclusion that I need a button stash too. Let's see how that goes.

I raided a toggle from Mum's stash too - with the intention of using it on a Calorimetry. I think I may knit one from the Falkland that came as this month's YY club shipment. What do you think?

Latest YY Fibre Club with toggle

I have decided that at some point in the future I need to knit Otto. I think I may knit this for my sister (nephew due in 5 weeks) instead of a pair of bootees. She isn't a very bootee person and I think a little bear would be cute.

Hopefully I will have some more news for you soon on my Endpaper Mitts, but that's enough for now :)

Watch this space!

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Aww I love Otto. He is way cute. I knitted an alpaca teddy for my nephew a while back and I love him too: http://www.thetoftalpacashop.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=91593

I haven't been knitting much at all recently, not even finished my CPH yet. Only one sleeve and the hood to go though, so fingers crossed I'll get it done in time for next winter ;o)