Saturday, 3 October 2009

Anniversary Presents and Stuff

Been shameful on the blogging front recently. Only one post in the whole of September? I must have been busier than I remember. Or lazier.

But all in seriousness the last week or so has been mentally busy. I had this whole week off work, on account of it being my birthday on Monday and wedding anniversary yesterday. We went to visit some friends in Germany on Saturday, and came back Tuesday which was brilliant fun. Will post some pictures later but we had a great time. We went to a beer/wine festival, drank loads, ate loads and played a ridiculous amount of Guitar Hero, which we have since purchased since getting home. That's too much fun.

Trev's also decided he wants to learn German and I'm going to teach him. We bought some books and things to help him while we were in Germany (from the German as a foreign language section in a very nice bookstore in Mannheim) and a few bits for me to help refresh myself - which I badly need. We're yet to sit down and have a proper lesson yet, but I've put together a lesson plan for him, so at least that's a start.

On the knitting front, we had a few problems with the postal strike eating up post and things we were waiting for, including yarn, fibre and anniversary presents.

Firstly, here's the Koigu I bought from a fellow Raveller. I love it! In some ways I think it's too pretty to use for socks - I'm better off using it for a shawl or something. But I'm undecided. Gorgeous though:

Koigu KPPPM

Also had a couple of lots of Spunky Club Fibre arrive. The first lot I'm about to show you, took nearly a month to get here. Most impressive:

Spunky Eclectic - Zombies

That's 4oz of Falkland called Zombies. It's so soft. I love it!

The September fibre only took a few days longer than normal. It's 4oz of BFL called Rolling Hills. I'm not so keen on this one - may try and swap it for one of the other months that I like:

Spunky Eclectic - Rolling Hills

The final missing fibre is some Peregrine from the Yarn Yard in colourway Red Squirrel. This is a 75%/25% merino/nylon mix. It drafts beautifully and feels so soft. Not too sure what to do with this one. Sarah and I used it for some sampling when in Germany, so I've probably got only about 90g left now:

The Yarn Yard - Fibre Club May 2009

Finally on spinning, I got to pick my Moosie selection last week. Hopefully my finished Moosie will be posted out on Monday and will be here by next weekend. Got no idea which one I ended up with, or which colour shaft I'll have as I asked Sheila to choose for me. So excited though - I've been after a Moosie for ageeeees.

Expect lots of photos when it gets here.

Soooo, onto anniversary presents.

Trev wanted to get me something useful, so I suggested sock blockers (Succaplokki). We found some I liked on Etsy and ordered them along with some stitch markers. Unbeknownst to me, Trev had then also ordered me some mitten blockers that I said I liked as I'll soon be knitting my Fiddlehead Mittens. (For anyone who is interested, the store is Succaplokki on Etsy).

Sock & Mitten Blockers

Here's another picture of the Mitten Blockers (Tumbbuplokki) with the little pop-out thumb blockers:

Mitten Blockers

Absolutely beautiful. I love them! The stitch markers are also cute and you almost always get a freebie of some description with each order, so I have a little keyring and 4 extra stitch markers from the 3 orders we've made.

So I've been working on socks for Trev as his anniversary present. Unfortunately I didn't get them finished in time, due to going away and then having my left arm swell up due to a scary mosquito bite, but here they are so far:

Trev's Koigu Socks WIP

I used Jenny's Super Stretchy Bind-Off which I must have done too tight as it's stretchy, but not massively so. Trev can only just get the sock on. But it fits, which is the main thing. When I'm done with them both I'll note down all of the finer details of the socks.

Now off to watch some Futurama and do some German!

No comments: