Thursday, 7 January 2010

Welcome to 2010!

Welcome everyone to this year! Sorry I've been a bit quiet on the blogging front. I had over a week off work and didn't get round to writing a post. Oops. I blame it on too much walking, eating, drinking and sleeping.

Not been overly productive on the knitting or spinning front! But here's an update on each.

Knitting:

I finished the first of Trev's Cherry Tree Hill house socks - pics to come once I've finished them both, or once I can take a pic in daylight of the one that's on the blocker. Come out well, and fits him good, which is great.

I also knitted 2 hats - a simple grey beanie for Trev and a new Ripley for me. I needed a new one because my black one got hijacked by a cold pregnant colleague on a business trip. So I cobbled one together out of leftover bulky yarn, but don't really have a picture to show yet. I do however have a pic of Trev's new hat:

Simple Beanie

I created a garter stitch band 8 stitches wide. S1, k7, p1. Then the same until I had 64 stitches on each side.

Joined in the round and picked up and knit a stitch in each on the first round. On the second round, did k1, kfb all around to give a total of 96 stitches.

Knit in the round until hat measured 5” from start of work.

Began decreasing 8 stitches every other round until I had only half my stitches left, then decreased 8 stitches each round until left with 8. Cut thread, and pulled through remaining stitches.

Simples!


Spinning:

Bit more to report here. I've had 2 Spunky Club shipments arrive and I've already started spinning up one of them. First off, is November's - 4oz of South African Fine in a colour way called Istanbul sunset. This is the one I've started to spin into a 3 ply yarn:

Spunky Eclectic - Istanbul Sunset

Istanbul Sunset WIP

December's - 4oz of Wensleydale in a colour way called Cold Front. The colours are actually more vivid than this, but my camera doesn't like taking blues:

Spunky Eclectic - Cold Front

I also had some new toys turn up. I signed up for a Journeywheel package that was being put together to celebrate Abby's new book, Respect the Spindle. It consisted of a copy of the book, a special 46g batt of 55% merino, 30% tussah silk and 15% cashmere and finally a birds eye maple mini spindle with a Bocote shaft - the Batt, Book and Birdseye pack. Because of the weight I was after, I instead went for a featherweight spindle. And here we are:

Batt, Book & Birdseye Bundle

The spindle is a gorgeous 18g and the batt is quite possibly the softest thing I have ever touched. With this one, I also ordered a Walnut Maxi - as I don't have a Maxi yet and I've always wanted a Walnut spindle too. Here's some more gratuitous spindle pictures:

Bosworth Featherweight Birds Eye Maple

Bosworth Maxi & Featherweight

Bosworth Maxi Walnut

In terms of actual spinning, I've not accomplished much. I finished spinning and plying the first skein of the Romney Time of the Month sock yarn for more socks for Trev - came out to about 100yds for the first 2oz and I guess I need to take a picture of that oo!

I've also spun up all the singles from the Hobbledehoy batt but just need to ply it. You can also see the Istanbul Sunset fibre I've started to spin up above and because I just can't help myself, I've also started to spin up some fibre for a challenge - more details later.

Right - I'm going to make myself a little list of things I need to remember to take pictures of to show you next time:

- New Ripley hat
- Romney TOTM sock yarn
- Hobbledehoy batt yarn
- Challenge spinning
- Trev's socks

I also need to report back on my New Year's Knitalutions for 2009 and how I did! I also need to make some new ones for 2010 but I promise I'll do that on Saturday :)

No comments: